The Material Insights Platform is a dynamic online industry solution that is designed to support a broad range of companies and stakeholders to navigate this environment, and to facilitate learning, collaboration, and improved ESG management in mineral supply chains for more than 21 materials across 30 industries.
The profiles within the Material Insights Platform include data on key ESG potential negative impacts relevant to each material, with reports linking the material to ESG risk factors, a series of grades to measure the severity and credibility of allegations in the reports, and an overall salience score for the material in each ESG risk category. Additional context is provided through:
- Pinpointing where risk issues may be geographically concentrated;
- Noting where risk issues are confined to specific sections or stages of supply chains;
- Identifying opportunities to make a positive impact or mitigate risk; and
- Noting drivers of demand or possible future changes in where production takes place.
The profiles also include data to assist users in identifying risks to the security of supply for each material via production data, supply chain resilience data, and country governance indicators:
- Production data – graphical and/or cartographic representation of the leading producers according to latest data;
- Supply chain resilience data – supply chain concentration, price volatility, depletion, and recycling; and
- Country governance indicators – displaying the scores for key producers, indicating conflict-affected and high-risk areas.
The Material Insights Platform went live on September 22 and continues to expand upon earlier research conducted for the RMI-Drive Sustainability Material Change report, which presented analyses of materials commonly used in the manufacture of automobiles and electronic products, using criteria that established materials’ importance to industry, and associated environmental, social and governance issues.
To access the Material Insights Platform, visit: material-insights.org
For more information, please contact Fabiana Di Lorenzo.